Watch Services – Basic Services We Provide and Helpful Information
Basic Watch Maintenance
Watch movements are like engines in cars; they need to be maintained and serviced on a regular basis similarly. It is essential to have your watch lubricated to prevent movement damage and time loss. Lubricating a movement is similar to getting an oil change in your car. When a watch is not serviced every 3-5 years, the oils begins to dry out. Lubricants will eventually turn into a fine dust and can wear out the pivots of watch wheels if not replaced regularly.
Complete Watch Service
A complete watch service at Watch Solutions consists of disassembling the watch movement, cleaning every part of any old lubricant, re-lubricating all necessary points, reassembling the movement, and adjusting the timing to standard factory specifications. The exterior of the watch is then fully refinished. To do this, we remove all scratches and restore the factory finish to the exterior case and bracelet. We also check the timing for accuracy over a period of 72 hours.
What if I Haven’t Worn My Watch?
It is a common misconception that if a watch has not been worn for years, it does not need to be serviced. An automatic movement works best when it is in use. The rotation of the winding rotor and motion of the various gears and parts allows the oils to distribute evenly throughout the movement. When the watch is not being worn, these oils disperse and dry out. Also, please be aware that leaving a dead battery in a watch over a period of time can also cause damage to the movement. A watch battery is similar to a car battery, when left, the battery will leak and cause corrosion in the movement. This will often cause damage to the watch that is beyond repair. If you do not have any intention of wearing a particular watch, we would be happy to remove your battery as to prevent movement damage.
The Lifetime of Your Watch
Sometimes watches can run for many years without being serviced, but doing so wears down the movement parts. This eventually causes costly repairs and can dramatically reduce the accuracy of the timekeeping. If you wish to keep your timepiece in optimum working condition, it is crucial to have regular maintenance performed. Fine watches can continue to perform flawlessly for decades, maybe even centuries, as long as they are properly maintained.
Watch services we provide at Watch Solutions:
- Batteries – Approx. $16-30 for most watches. Swiss watches $25-60. Check our Service Specials page for discounts on our watch batteries.
- Bands – Approx. $10-40 for leather, rubber and metal
- Sizing – Approx. $18-40
- Crystals – Approx. $40-70. Swiss and Sapphire from $60-150
- Stems & Crown – Approx. $35-65. Swiss watches from $65-125
- Movements – Approx. $45- 75. Swiss Movements from $75-Up
- Overhauls- For most watches $80-100. For swiss watches Rolex , Cartier, Omega, and Breitling, please call or visit us for a free estimate.
- Most watches include but are not limited to: Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, Guess, Fossil, Kenneth Cole, Casio, Timex, etc.
- Swiss Watches include but not limited to: Movado, Gucci, Hamilton, Swiss Army, Luminox, Tag Heuer, Omega, Cartier, Rolex etc.
- We offer a 90 day warranty on all overhauls. All watch repairs are done by a certified Swiss watchmaker.
- This is a general guideline. Some watches may be more or less.
- Free Estimates- Every Friday, our in-house watchmaker can diagnose what issue is preventing your watch from working properly and can provide you with a quote for the repair.